Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 (8 bhature)
- 2 cups maida flour
- 2 tablespoons sooji/rava
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons oil
- 5 tablespoons yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Water to knead into the dough
- Except the oil for frying, mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Make the dough soft, but it should not be overly soft or too hard to knead.
- Cover the bowl with a wet cloth and keep aside for at least four hours.
- Make lemon sized balls and roll into thick round rotis. They should not be too thick or too thin.
- Heat oil in a frying pan with the gas on medium high. Once the oil is hot, slide the bhature onto the oil. With a ladle, press the center and along the edges and it should puff. Flip over and fry the other side until medium or light golden brown. Remove onto absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with chole, yogurt, fresh onion and salad of your choice.