Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup toovar dal
- 1 tablespoon tamarind (paste/pulp)
- 1/4 cup fresh green coriander leaves, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoon whole jeera
- 1-1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper (adjust according to your spice preference)
- 2 to 3 dried red chilli
- 2 dry red chilli (for tempering)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 5 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- On a pan, roast whole jeera, black pepper and red chilli. Grind them into powder after.
- Wash the dal before cooking. Drain and cook the dal with 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker. When it has cooled down, open and strain only the dal water from the top. Do not use the dal. Keep the water on the side. ( you can use the dal for your another meal, don't throw it)
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan/pot. Add hing and two chopped tomatoes. When the tomatoes become soft, add the freshly grinded powder from step 1. Saute for two to three minutes. Put this mixture in a blender to make the paste.
- In another pan/pot, add 1 tablespoon ghee, two dry red chilli, hing and the paste. Sauté for two to three minutes. Add the strained dal water, tamarind paste, curry leaves and one chopped tomato.
- Cook for five to seven minutes. Add salt to taste and cook for one more minute. Turn off the stove. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a soup or with Idli and Medu Vada.