Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 pieces of Italian bread (6" long)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cans of kidney beans
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 small plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 romaine lettuce
- 4 jalapeños, sliced
- 1-1/2 green capsicum, sliced
- 1-1/2 bags of Mexican cheese (16 oz.)
- 4 cups cheese
- tortilla chips
- 3 cups of salsa (Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa)
- Preheat the oven on 350 degrees.
- First, we will cook the beans. Heat oil on a pan and add the onions. Sauté until medium brown. Then, add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes. When they are softened, add red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well and add the kidney beans. (drain and rinse the beans prior to adding.) Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Slit each bread horizontally into halves so you have 8 pieces. Scoop out the middle inner portion of the bread. It will look like a boat after.
- Mix the olive oil and butter and brush the bread with the mixture. After, toast the bread lightly in the oven and remove.
- Put the chips in a Ziplock bag and crush.
- Next, on the bread, spread the beans and add salsa on the top. Then, add the crushed nacho chips, shredded cheese and sliced jalapeños (to taste). Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Take it out of the oven and put atop the veggies of your choice: lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and green peppers. If you like a spicy sandwich, then sprinkle some hot sauce, preferably of the Mexican kind (i.e. El Yucateco).
- Nacho sandwich is now ready to serve